[Sugar-devel] easier installation of soas

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Mar 1 18:33:17 EST 2009

On 1 Mar 2009, at 21:25, Luke Faraone wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
> > wrote:
> The underlying problem is that on Linux, users normally don't have
> direct access to removable media, only indirectly via mount (which
> is setuid). Other operating systems (e.g. FreeBSD) handle this
> better. Unfortunately, we can't fix it and have to cope with it.
> Wait, isn't SOAS just a bunch of files on a stick? AFAICT, they
> don't modify the underlying FS (or at least Ubuntu's liveUSB creator
> doesn't).

I've used the livecd-iso-to-disk.sh script on Fedora (with a regular
XO, OLPC 767 build), I needed a few extra yum installs to get past
some friendly error messages, but I did need to be root (both
initially to install dependancies via yum, make the stick FS bootable,
and to have the script run). BTW: Nice to not have to re-format the
stick (after Mitch's red flag from a few weeks back).

FWIW: the image booted fine on a PC laptop I had to test (of a
potential school 50-100 seat pilot), though the kernel wasn't happy
booting (early kernel panic) on an XO at the time (build of a couple
of weeks ago).

--Gary