[Sugar-devel] easier installation of soas

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Sun Mar 1 15:01:15 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:58:30PM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, this cannot be so simple because it needs to be a
>> bootable image, and not just a set of files.
>
> What about raw disk images that could be written with dd? No need for any
> fancy GUI stuff, a single command line invocation suffices (dd is included
> by default on most distros), no need to install potential harmful
> third-party software.

This assumption, however, excludes the Windows-using majority.  Also,
single-line or not, many are uncomfortable with the command line in
principle (though that's significantly less true, obviously, among
Linux users).

Of course, I agree that requiring other third-party software installs
is undesirable.  If we can make a single-click solution (GUI or not)
work without need for such software (easy, as you point out, on Linux;
harder, I imagine, on Windows) then we probably should.

- Eben