[Sugar-devel] easier installation of soas

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sun Mar 1 14:41:52 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:58:30PM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:

> As I understand it, this cannot be so simple because it needs to be a
> bootable image, and not just a set of files.
What about raw disk images that could be written with dd? No need for
any fancy GUI stuff, a single command line invocation suffices (dd is
included by default on most distros), no need to install potential
harmful third-party software.
If the overlay file is created at first boot, a single disk image would
suffice (this would also allow the user to choose an encryption password
- USB sticks are lost more easily than Laptops). Even without that, the
difference in size between gzip compressed images is negligible (e.g.
0.4% for 1GB vs. 2GB).

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/