[Sugar-devel] Browse.xo -- preserving a downloaded filename?

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Tue Jun 30 16:34:35 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2009, at 18:20, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2009 07:17 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>>> Using Browse.xo v101 on 8.2.x I cannot get Browse.xo to save a file
>>> with the name that I am requesting.
>>>
>>> Browse.xo seems to take the name I hint from the server (from the URL
>>> and using an 'content-disposition: attachment, filename="leases.sig"'
>>> header). But it renames it as
>>>
>>>   "File leases.sig downloaded from http://.. "
>>>
>>> Filenames are often important. Even minor changes to a filename can
>>> cause a lot of user grief.
>>>
>>> In general, OSs (from the kernel to the UI) try to keep the sanctity
>>> of the filename as they do with the data. When they don't, all sorts
>>> of trouble ensues. We wouldn't mangle the user's data. We shouldn't
>>> mangle the filenames.
>>>
>>> Decorating the filenames with additional metadata is _cool_ otoh...
>>>
>>> cheers,

>> Actually I came along this myself the other day. I would propose to
>> have
>> the file name as the entry title and the 'downloaded from' description
>> in the journal entry description field.
>
> +0.8, it would also help keep titles a reasonable length when
> downloading something from a site with a deeply nested or script
> generated location.

+1 from me. This is a good example where "actions" would come in
handy. The action would indicate that the object was downloaded. The
object itself would retain its own identity, and have its basic
title/filename. I think adding the download location to the
description field is a nice idea. In the future, I'd like to improve
support for metadata that can expose it within the details page of an
entry, so that this could actually be represented as "downloaded from:
location", instead of eating up the description field.

Eben