[Sugar-devel] [Bookreader] Epub and Read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 06:39:35 EDT 2009

Hi Rebecca,

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Rebecca Hargrave
Malamud<webchick at invisible.net> wrote:
> Hello, Sayamindu -
>
> I am working with a group in Oregon to create bundles of the IACL books for
> the OLPC XO. I am looking for some guidance on what the best format is to
> provide the books in since it looks like we will need to work within the XO
> Read activity offline environment (I did some initial work on this as an
> online web demonstration using GnuBook -
> http://openlibrary.org/olpc/bookreader?format=raw ) .
>
> This post is very useful to get me started - thank you! I am looking forward
> to the public code and will watch the list(s) for details.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rebecca Malamud

At the moment, especially if you want to target current builds, Read supports

a) PDF
b) DJVU
c) PS
d) CBZ (which, I believe is similar to format used by GnuBook - a set
of jpg scans in a zip container)

Epub support is coming, but it will be available in a future version
of Read, with the dependency being a newer version of webkit, so I
think if you are considering current deployments, it may make more
sense to do PDF.

Of course, for handling Epub in current builds, we have the FBReader
Activity, but unfortunately it has limited support for Epub, in the
sense, that it does not (yet) fully support CSS.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta