[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] personalisation and collaboration

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:16:23 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 13:00, David Van Assche<dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Something has been in the back of my head for a while now, ever since I've
>> seen the impressive capabilities of being able to share an activity with
>> your neighbourhood. Being able to cooperatively use applications brings a
>> new level of playability to it all, and it reminds me of when I first saw
>> the ability for a computer game to be 'multi-player.'This gave it an extra
>> dimension, and with it came the idea of awards for completing certain
>> things, which would be displayed in your dashoard somewhere.The award system
>> seems even more relevant for education than it did for games. We'v aleady
>> mentioned the benefits of an award sysem so I'm not going to regugitate
>> that, but what hasnt''t really been spoken about is, how and what kind of
>> personal details should the journal store and share. I see this as a
>> customisable option, something that can be as simple as only sharing first
>> names, or sharing the name of your pet, your favorite colors and foods, the
>> languages you speak.
>>
>> This detailed information about a person is extremely valuable to the
>> underlying system, as it can potentially match people against each other.
>> This would allow for some interesting possibilities when it comes to
>> collaboration, such as the system suggesting users to challenge/collaborate
>> with based on personal information. I thought about having a robot that
>> lives on an irc channel capable of helping with the collaboration procedure,
>> as well as listing achievements, giving data on which users want to
>> collaborate, giving help on how collaboration works with particular
>> activities, listing which servers have open collaboration, showing the most
>> used/highest rated collaborating activities, etc.
>
> I guess tagging of buddies is related in some measure to this?
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Release/Roadmap/0.86#Groups

Yes, I think these goals are definitely in line. Our early mockups for
the XO palette included info such as a photo, name, age, and
interests, or perhaps other personal info so that kids could meet and
learn about each other online. Moreover, as Tomeu mentions, these tags
and metadata would be searchable in the neighborhood, so that
searching for "chess" would brinfg not only chess activities, but
anyone who mentioned they liked chess in their profile.

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
>> I havent thought about this too much in depth, but I know coding a bot is
>> not too hard. I see it as an extension to the speak AI, and encouragement to
>> join irc. We can even get the bot to accept uploads of raw learning
>> materials categorised by subject, which can then be used by content
>> creators. it itself could give out quizzes based on particular subjects, or
>> interesting pieces of information/knowledge. It could be taught new
>> information, by feeding it localised knowledge. It would be important to
>> know where we set the limits to what it can do.
>>
>> Just some food for thought...

This is a very interesting idea. Another perspective to think about
this from is a "persistent" activity. That is, it could just be some
activity that's running on a server all the time, rather than just on
personal XOs, so that it remains available permanently even when
everyone else leaves. naturally, this approach would require some way
for the server to push some code to the client, temporarily or
permanently, in order to interact with the persistent activity. That
idea is loosely related to the future goal of seamless transfer and
installation of activities which one doesn't have when joining them in
the neighborhood.

Eben