[Sugar-devel] More information on font scaling problem

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jun 5 21:08:13 EDT 2009

On 5 Jun 2009, at 21:42, James Simmons wrote:

> Gary,
>
> Thanks for doing this.  I wish I could say it cleared things up but
> I feel more confused than before.  You say these are both XO's with
> different versions of Sugar.  I thought that the font behavior on
> the XO was consistent, no matter what version of Sugar you used, but
> that you needed to use the SUGAR_SCALING environment variable in
> other places to make the fonts look OK.  That doesn't make sense
> because the zoom factor should be 72, meaning that any font number
> you put in would be multiplied by .72 and truncated to the next
> lowest integer.  Which is just the opposite of what you'd want to
> do, because it's the XO that has the font too big, not my
> development environment or SoaS.
>
> Even the .84 one doesn't look right to me.  When I run sugar-
> emulator on Fedora 10 the font looks *much* smaller than that.
>
> Maybe sugar-emulator *is* providing SUGAR_SCALING but instead of 100
> it is using 72?

Not sure if this is valid, but if I open Terminal activity in 0.82 and
"set | grep SUGAR", I see no SUGAR_SCALING environment variable
provided. Only:

SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ROOT=...
SUGAR_BUNDLE_ID=...
SUGAR_BUNDLE_NAME=...
SUGAR_BUNDLE_PATH=...
SUGAR_BUNDLE_VERSION=...
SUGAR_LOCALEDIR=...
SUGAR_THEME=...

Interesting... trying the same under Sugar 0.84 (latest SoaS image) on
an XO-1:

SUGAR_THEME=...  is no longer present
SUGAR_SCALING=100 appears!

Regards,