[Sugar-devel] More information on font scaling problem

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jun 5 13:01:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 18:40, James Simmons<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
> Isn't it just the opposite of what you wrote?  My reading of the code
> suggests that the SUGAR_SCALING environment variable was for everywhere BUT
> the XO:
>
> http://api.sugarlabs.org/sugar.graphics.style-pysrc.html

I think you are right, SUGAR_SCALING is set to 100 on machines with
high resolution (such as the XO) and that's the default as well if it
isn't set. We do this in Soas:

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/soas/repos/mainline/blobs/master/soas-sugar.ks#line113

Anyway, the idea is that whatever value you find that looks good on
the XO with 0.82, if you use style.zoom(), then it will look fine on
other machines with Sugar 0.82 provided SUGAR_SCALING is correctly
set. For the text to look fine in 0.84, you need to use a fixed,
absolute value around 10.

Regards,

Tomeu