[Sugar-devel] Unbootable machine

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Mon Jun 1 14:19:54 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 13:57, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

>  Part of me also wonders if using EXTLINUX might not be easier for you,
>> too.
>>
> Part of our problem is that we don't know what quirks actually exist in
> real hardware, so we're trying to come up with something that hopefully is
> as compatible as possible. Using FAT is part of that.
> If we'd know for sure using ext2 would work equally there's no reason not
> to use it. BTW: How does Windows handle USB sticks with "unknown"
> formatting?

Windows cannot handle USB devices that have more than one partition, as far
as I am aware. Windows treats unknown partitions as unformatted, and, if it
displayed the disk at all, would prompt the user to format the device.

ext(2, 3) is supported in Windows via a free (as in beer) kernel driver.

If ext3 were to cause problems, we could loopmount a ext3 partition on a fat
filesystem, but there would be no reason that it would have negative
effects.

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc