[Sugar-devel] Wireless Connection

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jul 31 08:42:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 05:19:43AM -0700, Abhishek Indoria wrote:
> To be specific in what? Look, I want to connect to a wifi network, but
> there are hardly any WIFI hotspot in India. There exists some USB
> modem wireless connections. Can I connect to them, without owning an
> USB modem. The rates are very high these days. Sugar network
> window(Neighbour view) never show up any wireless point except the
> three MESH network points(1,6,11). I want to connect to the internet,
> Without spending on USB modems.Is there really any way in which I can
> connect to the internet wirelessly and find some Wireless Points.I
> also want to know more about SSID, how can I obtain them? How can I
> connect to internet then, to any Wireless Points or a USB modem
> connection. Is there any way in which I can catch USB modem signals
> and connect through them? How else can I connect to internet via my
> mobile phone? I have it internet enabled.

You cannot change the laws of physics.

Sugar Neighbourhood View contains the results of a scan of the IEEE
802.11g signals being received.  If you have only the three mesh network
points, then there are no other signals available.

If you like, and you seem like the sort of person who can use a command
line, given the amount of typing you just did ... you can also use the
Linux command "iwlist eth0 scan" at the root prompt in the Terminal
activity, to obtain a precise technical description of the wireless scan
results.  This will show to you that Sugar is not hiding anything from
you.

It may be possible to connect the underlying Linux operating system to
the internet through your mobile telephone.  But this is not a Sugar
problem.  The general sequence is to connect the telephone, load the
appropriate kernel module (usually something like the option module),
and configure pppd.  The kernel you have might not have the option
module available.  The laptop you have might not have pppd installed.

Good luck!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/