[Sugar-devel] Reducing Stick Failures - Was Re: [Marketing] press release opportunity...

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Jul 30 16:15:10 EDT 2009

I have updated the wiki with the latest data and a plan for next steps.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/TODO#Sticks_are_dieing_a_lot_-_Make_sticks_more_robust
Basically trying a full install and an OpenSuse stick and seeing if either
of those fail as easily.

Would anyone like to help with the testing?

Thanks,
Caroline

PS Please don't reply on this thread anymore use the other one that is just
sugar-dev. I don't think this is a marketing issue right now.

PPS Thank you everyone who handwaved and WAGged!  Individually no one really
knew much but together we seem to have figured out one of the major
problems, an experiment to test it, and a plan for how to move forward.
 Especially want to thank Luke who was always correct in everything he said
and thought of the experiment.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:23, Caroline Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:

> >> +1
> >>
> >> My gut feeling is we don't want a LiveUSB, we want a bootable USB with a
> >> regular install on it. Ideally being installed from a LiveCD, that can
> >> either directly boot and demo Sugar, install to a USB stick, or install
> to a
> >> hard-disk. Once booted we'd want the minimum of file writes to maximise
> >> stick lifetime, and reduce the chance of a write landing as a child
> unplugs.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> --Gary
> >>

> > +1 except I think that we need it sooner not later.
> > It is the most likely suspect on most of our stick failures. We will have
> > upset teachers and kids if its not more reliable plus added expense and
> time
> > costs.
> > It is a blocker on:
> >
> > Reading things you've created on your Sugar Stick on a Windows or Mac
> > machine.
> > Createing a VM that can switch stick based users without rebooting out of
> > the native OS- This will help usability quite a bit on the Mac Laptops
> the
> > GPA will be using next year.
> >
> > I'm going to try to create a spec and publicize our need for help to my
> > network. I'd love help with both parts of that.
>
> The http://on-disk.com folks didn't offered their expertise on this?
>
> But anyway, we don't _need_ an expert. Rather an advanced linux user
> that can ask the right questions, read shell scripts, inspect a
> running system, etc. Already asked in the local linux user groups?

Hi Tomeu,

I'm trying to put together a wiki page taht explains where we are where we
need to go coherently then I will reach out to LUGS etc.

Can you help me feel confident that I have created such a page?

> Regards,
>
> Tomeu
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu