[Sugar-devel] Documenting the SoaS file system

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 21:59:36 EDT 2009

Does anyone know Sideways? What does it mean that he's a retired user?

What do people think of his idea?

Also should we go for a full install? How big a USB would be we need for that?

Thanks,
Caroline

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) <
bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >>  From what I understand, the squashfs is *never* rewritten once created.
> >> All changes are stored in a "LVM Snapshot", which is just another file
> >> on the underlying FAT filesystem.
> >
> > As far as I know, what happens is this:
> >
> > * At build time, all packages are installed (and so is the base system)
> > and end up in an image, which gets compressed using squashfs.
> >
> > * Once you boot your disk / device, any change you make gets saved into
> > this spurious file (either for the overlay or home), which contains only
> > the changes made since you booted for the first time. Those changes get
> > - again afaik - mapped with some magic (don't ask me how, maybe some
> > Fedora folks or the wiki know) on the fly into the usual filesystem.
>
> That's also what I understood. And if I'm not mistaken, the "magic"
> involved is a pinch of UnionFS (a read-write partition that is mounted
> as an overlay on top of the root filesystem).
>
> Maybe the livecd-tools guys could confirm this. Jeremy, IIRC you
> worked on this, could you enlighten us ?

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove
Caroline at SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office