[Sugar-devel] Assessment in Karma

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 01:40:25 EDT 2009

As previously mentioned by Bryan in his "Automated Assessment is the Killer
App" blog post (
http://karmaproject.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/assessment-is-the-killer-app/)
student assessment is an important component of Karma.
While toying around with the lesson UI I realized that the assessment area
is still very much an empty space (which kinda reminds me of the group view
in Sugar;-) as we haven't really discussed how it should look, what kind of
data will be kept (which is of course heavily dependent on the type of
lesson), how the data will be stored, etc. To keep the efforts required to
do that in check I think that it might make sense to start by offering a
handful of templates - both on the UI and storage backend side of things -
to fit the most common use-cases in terms of different lesson
types (e.g.inserted words into sentences, doing calculations, etc.)

Now I was wondering whether anyone here had specific suggestions on how to
address this or pointers to how other e-learning solutions (regardless of
whether stand-alone applications or Web based) solve this interesting
challenge.

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

--