[Sugar-devel] Current State of OLPC (XO) and Sugar on a Stick

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Tue Jul 28 22:57:53 EDT 2009

I did a rather comprehensive test this evening working with Csound materials
in the context of the OLPC (XO) and Sugar on a Stick. Here are the results.
I'd appreciate continued help to resolve the outstanding issues.

Three tests:
Test 1: Running a .csd file from the terminal. ALSA driver specified
Test 2: Running a .csd file from python from the terminal. No audio driver
specified.
Test 3: Running a .csd file as part of an Activity (python script) within
Sugar. No driver specified.

Context 1: On the OLPC (XO) computer (OLPCsound - 5.08.91) - out of the box
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 2: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 3: ran fine; ALSA driver used
  Obviously no problems here - except the limitation to OLPCsound (5.08)

I configured a completely new USB stick (in Windows) to run the remaining
tests.

Context 2: Sugar on a Stick - out of the box (OLPCsound - 5.08.91) - no
updates
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 2: fails - cannot import csnd (note: csound-python is not present)
Test 3: fails - during import _csnd; in libcsnd.so.5.1: undefined symbol:
csoundGetInputBuffer
  Note: csnd.py, _csnd.so etc. *are* present in the /site-packages folder

Context 3: SoaS with updates-testing update csound (to 5.10.1-9.fc11):
includes fltk but not csound-python
Test 1: ran fine; ALSA driver used
Test 1 rerun, with *no driver specified*: fails - "unknown rtaudio module:
"PortAudio"
  This is the new audio driver glitch I referred to in the previous mail
below. Note that the XO (5.08) install doesn't suffer this problem.
Test 2: fails - cannot import csnd; no module named csnd
Test 3: fails - cannot import csnd; no module named csnd

Notes:
*Before* Context 3, I tried to upgrade Csound by doing an install
csound-python. (During a previous try at this, the install upgraded to a
compatible build of 5.10; but not this time!) Csound-python would not
install because it: "conflicts with 5.08.92-15 (the existing OLPCsound). So,
you must update Csound first, apparently. However...

*After* Context 3, I tried another install csound-python. This time it fails
with: "requires csound 5.10.1.7.fc11" (a slight downgrade). Thus in this
test sequence I was unable to test the latest of Peter's 5.10 Fedora builds
with csound-python. (Since I believe I was able to do this before, and since
Peter has not changed anything in the meantime, I'm at a loss to explain
this result. Perhaps I ungraded/installed things in a different order? In
any case, even when csound-python *was* installed I got the same results as
the failures above, FWIW.

For anyone interesting in running Csound with or without python simply on a
1+GB USB drive (any computer - it's basically Fedora11, Sugar and various
kids' activities on a stick),
simply go to:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Windows
and create your own Sugar on a Stick USB drive, then boot it from whatever
computer you like.

I'd be interested in your sharing relevent experiences.

Art Hunkins