[Sugar-devel] SoaS Getting stuck at the Fedora Login Screen

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 21:42:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Caroline
Meeks<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> This week I'm focusing on issue that make it hard to deploy SoaS.
>
> One of these is stick failures.  I believe there is more then one cause to
> stick failures so I'm going to try to attack them one a time, we don't have
> to get it to 0 but right now its a major disruption, almost every class
> someone has a broken stick.
>
> The most common sort of failure mode seems to be that the stick gets stuck
> at the Fedora Login Screen.
>
> Any ideas what is happening?
>
> 1. Why do we go there at all during  reboot?
> 2. Sometimes it goes there without liveuser filled in, then its impossible
> to continue.
> 3. Sometimes if has liveuser but when you press return it takes you back to
> the login screen.
>
> I wonder if we just have a bug somewhere and its not the sticks fault at
> all?

One of the things causing this is the way the livecd (and the derived
usb) are set up.
They are set up with auto-login into the liveuser account at cold boot.
However this (auto-login) does not work on X-session restart
(=restarting Sugar).
Hence you end up with the Fedora login screen.

Just an explanation, no solution (yet).

Ton van Overbeek