[Sugar-devel] Duplication of Effort: Don't do it.

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 27 16:27:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Benjamin M.
Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I have lately seen a lot of duplication of effort in Sugar.  I think this
> is bad.  The success of Sugar demands discipline and careful planning from
> its developers.

Yes, duplication of effort _is_ undesirable.   It is an inherent cost
in open source projects.

In an hierarchical project, a significant amount of effort is spent by
managers coordinating, directing, and controlling their subordinates.
The goal is to insure that workers are effectively spending their time
on approved projects.

In an open source project their is _no_ way to control the work of
subordinates.  Nor should a project spend its limited resources on
managers instead of developers and educators.  The intelligence is in
the leaves.

The project must establish a culture which attracts participants to
work towards a common mission and vision.  Open source is
evolutionary.  Evolution depends on parallelism.  Good lines survive.
Bad lines die.

We have not moved far enough forward far on the Qt issue for me to
have a stance.

As this, and other, discussions moves forward I would like shift one
of the conversation premises from 'duplication of effort is bad' to
'duplication is a cost which must be managed.'

Projects which succeed, manage these costs.

david