[Sugar-devel] python hulahop article

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jul 27 13:04:44 EDT 2009

On 7/27/09, Benjamin Smedberg <benjamin at smedbergs.us> wrote:

> Our primary goal is making the fastest and best web platform available.
>  XPCOM has served its purpose but causes our code to be very verbose and hard
>  to maintain, in addition to some significant performance penalties.

 hmmm, downside both ways you look at it, no wonder you want to rip it out.

 where's a better place to discuss this?

>  Seamless inter-language communication was a nice (intentional) by-product of
>  XPCOM, but is not a core goal as our codebase continues to evolve.
>
>  All of the web APIs are defined and tested in terms of their reflection into
>  JS. The future for PyXPCOM and the other language bridges is to be a
>  reflection of JS, not a reflection of binary-xpcom.

 oo.  that would be veeery interesting.  JS and python are much better
matched than most people realise.

>  >> We aren't going to drop it but we are already
>  >> optimizing around it, and removing it in future APIs.
>  >
>  >  mmm, history will tell if that's a mistake or not.  please don't
>  > remove it _until_ the new API which replaces python-xpcom is fully
>  > completed.  that would _definitely_ be a mistake.
>

> We are not going to intentionally break other reflection layers without good
>  reason, but neither are we going to slow down with improvements to the
>  Mozilla platform in order for non-core functions like PyXPCOM to catch up.

  have openkomodo and miro, just two projects that i know of that use
pyxpcom, been made aware of this?

>  Our primary focus needs to be staying competitive as a web platform/browser
>  and improving the readability/maintainability of our codebase.

 the price of being a big project, on which so much depends...
awkward, isn't it? :)

 l.