[Sugar-devel] Improving Reading Experience

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 00:17:47 EDT 2009

Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> writes:

> What might be more suited to Caroline's purposes is a demo of Get
> Internet Archive Books, followed by demoing reading the downloaded
> book in Read.  In Fedora 11 I can use the Read Activity (I couldn't in
> any other Sugar test environment I ever had).  The advantage of doing
> this is the books have pictures.

I downloaded latest version of GIAB from activities.sugarlabs.org.
I downloaded a few books in .djvu format (it seems this is the main
format available in Internet Archive) but couldn't open it in Read.

Shall I search for other books in other formats?

> Caroline is trying to sell Sugar itself, so we want to show reading
> for children at it's best.  Since Gutenberg etexts are without
> pictures, plus we would have to explain why it is that we have more
> than one Activity for reading (something there is no need for them to
> know at this time) I think this is the way to go.

So do I.

> If you go to the Internet Archive website you should be able to get a
> list of children's books that you could search for with GIAB.
> Caroline might suggest some that are not controversial.  I just found
> out that the Oz books have been banned in a few places.  There is a
> book "Abroad" which is quite beautiful and might be considered for a
> demo.

Caroline, can you provide a link to such a book in IA, one that I read
in Read?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien