[Sugar-devel] Book bundles and Read

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 17:06:57 EDT 2009

Hello,
While looking at the existing Library Bundle mechanism, I was
wondering if it would be possible to bypass the Browser altogether and
launch the catalog inside Read itself (for library bundles that have
ebooks in them). If we use a zip archive format, with the following
internal layout, it will be possible to load the catalog directly into
Read (once I have support for the draft OPDS standard in Read):

.
|-- books
|   |-- Verne - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.epub
|   |-- Verne - A Journey into the Interior of the Earth.epub
|   |-- Verne - Around the World in Eighty Days.epub
|   |-- Verne - From the Earth to the Moon.epub
|   `-- Verne - The Mysterious Island.epub
`-- catalog.atom

Only the catalog name needs to be constant (catalog.atom) - the books
would be referenced from the catalog, along with optional thumbnail
icons etc.

This may be useful in scenarios where the deployment or a distributor
wants to distribute multiple (but of a similar theme) books together
(eg: beginning of the school session, books for a specific subject).

Does this make sense ?
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--