[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Read 70

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:30:10 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I just released version 70 of the Read activity - the first release in
the 0.86 release cycle. Among the changes in this release, probably
the most important change is the addition of support for Epub files.
It is likely to contain a significant number of bugs, please report
them on http://dev.sugarlabs.org under the component Read.
The activity has been tested to work on Fedora 11 based systems such
as SOAS-Strawberry, and it will work in a Sucrose 0.84 environment
(and I plan to make sure that it keeps working on Sugar 0.84).
However, if you are using SOAS, you will need to install WebkitGTK,
python-lxml and python-BeautifulSoup. The following command would do
the trick:

yum install webkitgtk python-lxml python-BeautifulSoup

For getting epubs, I would recommend http://www.feedbooks.com and
http://www.epubbooks.com/
I am not releasing the XO bundle via activities.sugarlabs.org, since
this release would probably have a lot of bugs, and I do not want to
expose non-tester users to those bugs right now.

Source code
===========
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/fructose/Read/Read-70.tar.bz2

XO Bundle
=========
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/bundles/read/Read-70.xo

Changes
========
* Epub support
* Bookmarks support
* Default behaviour of Next/Forward is chunk-wise instead of page-wise
(going by the original mock ups)
* Translation updates (Italian, Japanese)
* Misc bugfixes

Screenshot
http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/screenshot_read_epub2.png

Thanks,