[Sugar-devel] [Bastien] helpfr.xo does not launch on F11 on XO-1

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jul 21 17:25:31 EDT 2009

Hi Bastien,

On 21 Jul 2009, at 21:02, Bastien wrote:

> thanks for the warnings.
>
> Are the Help/Helpfr activities the only two instances of such
> compatibility issue with 0.82 and 0.84 hulahop versions?
>
> If not, what are the other decisions that have been made?

There was at least one other break I can remember. Some folks way back
used to liked the old GMail site specific Browse remix (Walter's I
think). It's never been upgraded for recent Sugar releases.

FWIW: one of the GsoC participants is making / has made a site
specific browser (extension to, and based on recent Browse code). I'm
not sure if this has any off-line snapshot ability for a web sites
content  (that was my hope when I first saw its mention), as that is
in my view the primary use case we need for Browse – i.e quickly
create Journal snapshots of existing content for non-internet use and/
or local sharing.

Browse for the 0.86 roadmap may gain this off-line snapshot ability,
through other efforts, but the 0.86 schedule is shorter than previous
development cycles so I wouldn't be surprised it needed to slip.

> I think the current Help doesn't need to be upgraded, as it contains
> instructions for XO and Sugar 0.82.  Maybe after the next flossmanuals
> sprint, Help will need a full rewrite - upgrading both the content and
> the hulahop engine, and this new version could be released as a
> separate
> Help2.

Long time back, there was discussion for creating a 'simple web widget
view' that a developer could easily embed in an Activity with minimum
fuss. Everyone was keen, but not enough hands (or hands with the right
knowledge) to make it happen. So hacking on whatever is the current
Browse code has become the soupe du jour.

Regards,
--Gary