[Sugar-devel] GPA reports and target features

Greg Smith gregsmithpm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:39:14 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I came up with a strategy to focus development on a successful Sugar
implementation in a single school.

On the reports:
I updated the Sugarlabs GPA wiki page with some more links to the
reports: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Gardner_Pilot_Academy#Class_notes

In the future I will try to write a short focused summary for the list
and post the full notes on the wiki.

On Development, Bugs, and Features:
I want to make a list of features and fixes focused on GPA. Once we
have a prioritized list we can sort them in to target releases. So
they wont be "target 0.86 for a while.

I will add GPA to the Keywords in Trac and list main features here:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Goals

I want to build the SW work list from the ground up. That is, define
the curriculum, the lesson plans and the interaction in class first.
Then list the barriers and enhancements based on that.

All other roadmap work is great, as long as there are no regressions
:-) I'm all for it but I'll focus on GPA impacting items for now. If
you are coding something you think will be used in GPA, let me know.

One exception is Gary's Toolbar idea. I'll study it and synch with
Caroline about options for testing it in class.

I added a link to the curriculum at GPA on the wiki:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Gardner_Pilot_Academy#Curriculum \

And a list of "lesson plans" (work flow examples). I put in two from
classes I was in. Please add more if you have them. I will also ask
the Sur list and research lesson plans from XO deployments.

That's my strategy and work plan for the near term.

Any comments, additions or suggestions are welcome.

Next up is reading the bug db and asking for status of main Goals
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Goals). That plus
studying the curriculum and creating/finding more lesson plans.

If that looks like a good plan, is anyone up for working it with me?

I see four main roles:
1 - Bug scrub, update and tracking. Help tag all GPA related bugs,
make sure developers understand them, get any added details needed,
get them assigned, and check for status.

2 - Curriculum creators. Get up to speed on curriculum and goals of
the projects. Come up with and document new lesson plans.

3 - Technical testing and support. People to reproduce bugs, get
latest software, try out and verify possible solutions and maintain a
test bed of what the class is doing. Could be the same person as 1.

4 - Developers ready to resolve issues. Hopefully a few generalists
who can help fix any problem, be it activity or sugar core related.
Hopefully several people beyond the existing primary developers.

Unicast or reply on list if you want to chip on any of that. No hard
commitment needed, I'll take what I can get.

My time may become constrained again but my goal is a solid list of
classes with working code to support them, in place before the end of
August.

Thanks,

Greg S