[Sugar-devel] Planning for Weds - Tux Paint, Conozco Uruguay, Memorize with Speak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jul 21 08:06:45 EDT 2009

On 21.07.2009, at 04:07, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> Caroline Meeks writes:
>
>> 1. Tux Paint - Waiting for it to save to the Journal
>> before we let the kids use it
>
> Last I checked, the Journal interface...
>
> a. required piles of custom D-BUS code (very painful to do)

Indeed, the D-Bus datastore interface is geared towards a high-level
language (or framework, like glib). The most severe issue is probably
that it requires activities to read and retain arbitrarily complex
meta data when accessing an entry, and pass it back to the datastore
when saving.

A work-around would be to call the copy-to-journal / copy-from-journal
scripts, depending on what use case Caroline has in mind.

- Bert -