[Sugar-devel] Language control panel broken: Chinese + Russian displayed

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:56:55 EDT 2009

Your supposition turns out to be incorrect. (below)

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:35 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta<sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 01:54, Edward Cherlin<echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> There are serious bugs in language switching in My Settings (the Sugar
>>> Control Panel).
>>
>> Would be better to track each of these issues in individual tickets at
>> dev.sugarlabs.org.

Will do.

>>> One is that switching to a language can result in bits of some other
>>> language appearing, and switching back does not necessarily restore
>>> the original language entirely. I have attached a portion of a screen
>>> shot showing mixed Russian and Chinese, even though English is set.
>
>> Maybe these languages have poor 0.84 coverage and you have set them
>> one on top of another so when a string is not found in a language, it
>> tries to find it in the other one?

I forgot to mention that I got this without setting Chinese at any time.

> Yes - I think that is the likely explanation.
>
>>> Also, if you add another language menu with the button provided, and
>>> select two different languages on them, it is not obvious how to
>>> switch. It turns out that clicking on the menu showing the desired
>>> language, and reselecting the displayed selection, is not interpreted
>>> as a request to change languages. It appears to be necessary to select
>>> something else, and then go back and select the language desired.
>>>
>>> Third, the + button sometimes disappears.
>>
>> Not sure about these two, perhaps Sayamindu can comment.
>>

> Please file a bug for the second one with exact steps to reproduce
> (eg: with example language names, etc)
>
> Regarding #3, I think the + button will disappear when you choose
> English(USA), since English (USA) does not have any translation (as in
> translations in PO files) and will invariably cause a fallback to the
> second language. Are there any other cases where you are seeing this ?

That's true. But now I have a new symptom. I changed to Russian. No
problem. I changed to English (USA). Now it displays Russian, but
claims to be in English. And the + button has disappeared.

OK, I'm off to Trac now. I will provide screenshots for each bug.

> Thanks,
> Sayamindu
>
> --
> Sayamindu Dasgupta