[Sugar-devel] testing sugar on debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Jul 17 15:48:45 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:34:28PM +0200, Santiago Ruano Rincón wrote:
>Hi, Jonas.
>
>On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 02:24:30PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> >Yeah - that bug was causing the segfault I wrote about in another
>> >thread!
>> >
>> >Martin Stone figured out a workaround (and I have now mentioned the
>> >bugnumber next to it!) of not stripping binaries in hippo-canvas:
>> >http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Chroot
>> >
>> >I have now (for amd64 only so far) an unofficial hippo-canvas packaged
>> >for Sid with that fix.  Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>> >to get it:
>> >
>> >deb http://debian.jones.dk/ sid sugar
>>
>> Packaged a working hippo-canvas for both amd64 and i386, both Sid and
>> Squeeze now.
>>
>> Add one of these lines as appropriate for your Debian system:
>>
>> deb http://debian.jones.dk/ sid sugar
>> deb http://debian.jones.dk/ squeeze sugar
>>

>I'm looking at your packages, but the only change I found is in
>changelog, or I am wrong?
>
>Anyway, I've added DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS += nostrip and yeah, it seems to
>work. I'll upload it to debian.

Using nostrip violates Debian Policy!

What's even stranger is that I - in the train here to Spain -
experienced that a simple recompile also works!

What was your build environment for that last release?  Do you use
pbuilder or similar virgin-like environment?

Package dependencies (for the binary package, not build-dependencies)
also look odd - they are _newer_ for that old build than when
recompiling against up-to-date Sid.

Please test with simple recompile (standard stripping!) and consider
rereleasing!

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --