[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 17 10:57:54 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

On 17 Jul 2009, at 09:52, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>> Here are my image mock-ups for Write. All tabs are swapped out as
>> is, for
>> toolbar buttons. With no need to move existing tab content features
>> about:
>>
>>  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Proposals/Toolbars#Top_level_Activity_toolbar_for_Write
>
> These look really great! I would like to hear opinions from people who
> have worked with kids and Sugar.

+1

> If they agree to move forward on this, I think we can go full speed
> ahead.

Yes, we need that feedback! Having worked closely on these, I can't
fairly comment, I'm "in the box" so to speak. We need feedback from
other folks "out side the box". Though I am happy to wave a flag and
shout "having the Stop button always visible at the top right of every
Activity toolbar" is a huge win ;-)

My big criticism of the design is actually "there's no text for the
literate". I can see adults struggling more with this interface vs.
lowering the bar a for the very young and/or illiterate.

Secondary palettes still get their text labels, just like they do now,
thank goodness. But, the primary tool buttons are all without text
labels (good for ease of translation, but good icons are much harder
to create than a text name).

> Thanks for the great work,

Thanks, glad you like them :-)

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. I've been trying to work through your "[IAEP] future of the Sugar
user experience" email from 6 weeks or so back from a design point of
view, think I've managed to touch on most items (but not all).