[Sugar-devel] GPA School Notes Wed. July 15 - GS

Eduardo H. Silva hoboprimate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 09:25:51 EDT 2009

My humble opinions on what Sugar could learn from this report are bellow.

2009/7/15 Greg Smith <gregsmithpm at gmail.com>:
> [...]
> helped each other out.
>
> Cold:
> Sometimes when switching partners, some kids were left out.
>
> Usability comments from me.
>
> Educational Context
> The kids really wanted to know what to do next. If they didn't know
> where to click to download an image they would just sit and wait or
> get distracted or ask a teacher or me. With several kids asking you
> something at the same time and poking you for your attention, its a
> little overwhelming: what do I do now?, how do you spell Louisiana?,
> how do I go back to memorize?, etc.
>
> I asked the teacher how he handles that and he said he spends extra
> time preparing them. Gives exact steps, goes over them several times,
> and ask the kids to repeat back what they will do. He can handle a few
> kids asking follow up questions but if more than 2 - 3 need help then
> it probably wasn't explained well enough in advance.
>
> That was not what I expected. My inclination is to say" go ahead and
> do whatever you want. You can do this, but anything you create will be
> original and interesting. Of course, to a kid, do what every you want
> turns in to run around in the sun and tickle my class mates.
>
> If you constrain it to: in the class using the computer, they want to
> know what to do next. They want to do the right thing, finish the
> assignment and accomplish their task. So structure and direction is
> important. Probably obvious to any teacher but kind of a surprise to
> me.
>
> Steps to accomplish the assigned task.
> We setup the collaboration and had connected computers in pairs with
> Memorize open when we started.
>
> Their task with steps as we intended was as follows:
> - Open browse
> - Go to WIkipedia.org
> - Type in a state name in the search field
> - Right click on the picture of the state and choose download
> - Click "continue" count down timer ot just wait for download to complete.
> - Click OK or Show in Journal
> - Open frame
> - Choose Memorize
> - Choose create tab as needed
> - Choose eye icon to upload state image
> - Find and select state image on journal
> - Type state name in matching tile
> - Click Add pair
> - Repeat as needed
>
> - Save Game
> - Click Play tab
> - Open game
>
> Play with friend or variant of choose SHare with my Neighborhood and
> have friend find you.
>
> Everybody got it eventually but most needed help somewhere. Examples
> of things they needed help with, from kids I worked with:
> - Couldn't remember how to start "world" AKA browse.
> - Needed help spelling Wikipedia.
> - Couldn't find search field on wikipedia because frame was covering half of it
> - Needed help spelling state names
> - Didn't remember Right click on image to download in browse.

This is one place where palettes aren't opened by hovering. The
thinking that eben told me, was that in websites with many images,
lots of palettes appearing would get in the way. I think it should be
tested on first hand to see if indeed it would make browsing be a
nuisance.

> - Clicked on drop down instead of icon (e.g. clicking stop they put
> the cursor over the stop sign then saw the drop down text saying
> "Stop" then clicked on that and nothing happens. They should click
> directly on the stop sign itself.
Stop is probably the first toolbar button a user/kid uses, so I think
it is normal that they don't yet know how it works.

> - Couldn't remember how to get back to Memorize (aka task switch using
> the frame).
> - Didn't know how to find a game they could join (aka go to network
> neighborhood).
> - Found a person's icon in network neighborhood and clicked on it
> instead of the Memorize icon just below the name.
> - Didn't wait for popup/hover text when moving cursor around network
> neighborhood so couldn't find anyone.
The hovering of palettes was delayed a bit in comparison with the
initial versions of sugar. Could this be fine-tuned to be faster?