[Sugar-devel] testing sugar on debian

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Jul 16 08:16:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 09:45:41AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 02:43, Jonas Smedegaard<dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:15:23PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>>just installed squeeze and sugar-0.84. Which options have users to
>>>run Sugar? Should we expect them to use a display manager?
>>
>> For now, the package sugar-0.84 provides the following ways for
>> running Sugar:
>>
>>   * sugar-emulator (for invoking from any Linux X11 desktop)
>>   * XDG-compliant sugar session (for selection from GDM)
>
>Ok, will test with GDM.

Arrgh - latest sugar packaging also miss the XDG hints :-(

And worse: A bug in the dbus package prevents me from releasing my
prepared packaging update including fixes for that and the python-wnck
package dependency at the moment.

Most probably the dbus problem is solved at next update of Debian Sid
(in about 6 hours), but at that time I am on a 30 hour train ride
towards Debconf in Spain.

So all in all, take a break from the testing a few days - and if you
don't hear back from me then please do ping me for these packaging
updates that are prepared, just needs compilation and official release.

>> I am working on splitting that package to provide above methods
>> separately packaged (e.g. to not pull in Xephyr if only wanting GDM
>> session)
>>
>> So far I have almost only played with sugar-emulator (too lazy to
>> quit my many xterminals) but I believe the GDM session should work
>> equally well as through Xephyr (or, should I say, equally bad: as was
>> in another recent thread, sugar segfaults for me currently...!)
>
>Hope to be able to reproduce it here.

As I wrote before, the segfault is due to that hippo-canvas bug that you
brought my attention to.

>>>Just ran startx and in xterm, 'sugar', it complained about not being
>>>able to import wnck, though python-wnck is installed. This doesn't
>>>seem to be related to Sugar because python -c 'import wnck' also
>>>fails. Any clue about what's going on here? Python version mismatch?
>>
>> Are you sure python-wnck is installed?  'Cause now that I
>> double-check, I actually made an error in the most recent packaging
>> to no longer dpend on it (thanks for bringing it to my attention!).
>
>Thought it was but it wasn't, just installed it. Also needed to
>install python-gtksourceview2.

thanks for spotting that.  Added to my pending packaging update.

>It fails to start now without any python backtrace, will investigate
>further.

Probably the hippo-canvas segfault.  A tricky thing here is that the
message about segfaulting does not always show on commandline.

Try with an unstripped hppo-canvas!

  - Jonas

- --