[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Fedora

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Tue Jul 14 18:24:22 EDT 2009

I've had both Soas and Sugar on Fedora installed in KVM machines. A
year ago or so I had problems with the joyride builds, so that's
progress... :-)

Soas seems to work just fine so far. I have a couple of issues with
Fedora but I am not sure yet they qualify as bugs.

1) I need a way to make Sugar the default session. As it is, it took
me a few minutes to figure out how to get the sessions options to
show. I don't expect anyone (particularly the teachers, kids will
adapt to anything!) to enjoy that part.

2) I plan to use the french version of sugar. But I'd rather have a
US International (or variant thereof) keyboard. The standard
keyboard in Haiti is the US variant. So how do I set that up?

3) At least in KVM, Soas makes better use of screen resolution than
Fedora. How can that be fixed?

4) There are going to be a lot of extra, unneeded packages that I'd
like to get rid of. I hoped that there was a Fedora spin of sugar,
but it appears that was folded into Soas. But Soas is not designed
to be installed on a hard disk. Why not? Why not give people the
ability to setup a computer with sugar as the desktop?

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>