[Sugar-devel] Physics activity (Was: Release v3 tonight?)

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sun Jul 12 22:11:15 EDT 2009

Just cc:ing the list to keep others in the loop.

On 12 Jul 2009, at 22:55, Asaf Paris Mandoki wrote:

> A release will be great.

Think we need to make a call on the stability of the new Physics
Journal state format first, or at least make sure everyone knows the
storage format may (or may not) be stable long term (hate to see a
bunch of folks generating/posting examples for lesson plans only to
have them all fail to resume in a few versions from now).

> I also suggest scheduling an IRC meeting to discuss some "long" term
> plans about what we're going to do and how we're going to do it.

Yes, an IRC meeting sounds like a good idea. I'm usually only on IRC
for specific meetings so we'd need to pick a time. Perhaps we could
make it a Physics specific ActivityTeam meeting on Friday, some other
interested parties may join the discussions?

> I'm thinking about adding some sort of goals and objectives but I'm
> not sure if there is where we want to go.

Well need to chat :-) but the X2o Activity seems like the place for
driving "goals and objectives". I see Physics as more the open ended
sand box for experiments, like a simple Paint tool for physics
simulations. We need to keep an eye on the usability for younger kids,
the number of tools is probably about right, but I have been looking
at the idea of adding more options as secondary palettes, i.e. you
hover over the circle tool and the palette includes extra options for
"helium balloon", "rubber ball", "wooden ball", "stone ball"  for some
pre-set material types, this would vary depending on the tool, so the
motor could perhaps have clockwise and anti-clockwise as well as some
torque settings (strong, medium, weak).

Perhaps another round of physics based games could use the new Physics
as a starting point :-)

> I translated the activity to spanish at
>
> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/honey/
>
> I could see if I can get some friends to add more languages, it's
> just a 5 minute task.

If you can get some more friends to add translations that would be
great :-)

> I noticed there was a commit on the repository for italian but I
> don't see my translation being committed. I made it days ago so I'm
> not sure if I should do something to get it commited.

Pootle usually pushes on Fridays I think, not sure if it is a hard rule.

> I think it would be good to include this translation in the release.

Yes. I currently just see translations for el, fa_AF, it, ja, pt_BR,
si, at the moment. Perhaps we can hold off on a release until the next
batch of .po make it in? Maybe give us time to ponder how stable the
box2d pickle format will be.

> When I look at the details of a saved contraption in the journal I
> don't see a preview. I'm not sure if I should do something extra to
> save it or if it is an olpcgames problem.

Yea just a 50% grey preview here, I have a feeling I've read somewhere
it was a pygames/olpcgames issue (Maze has the same problem). Hmmm,
can activities provide their own thumbnail? I've read something but
can't remember if it was a future proposal or an existing feature :-)

Anyone on the list have any hints?

> On 12 Jul 2009, at 22:39, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> How stable do you think the save format is? Using pickling might
>> leave us at the mercy of changes in the box2d object structure.
>> Once we release Physics-3 we'll want to be reasonably comfortable
>> that the Journal entries it creates will continue to resume with
>> future Physics releases.
>
> I didn't think about portability between box2d versions. I guess the
> only way to ensure this is to manually generate a JSON structure of
> the world and then save it. Maybe it's worth doing.

I don't know enough about the box2d pickling solution, did you see any
mention of it when you were researching?

> I'll try to do some testing using SoaS.

Yep same here, seems to work real well on my SoaS VM so far tonight :-)

Regards,
--Gary