[Sugar-devel] reading and writing translatable strings

Bryan Berry bryan at olenepal.org
Sun Jul 12 05:58:58 EDT 2009

Subzero,

I have figured out how to read the strings from an html file, at least
somewhat:

utils/narwhal/bin/narwhal source.html output.pot

generates a .pot file from the strings in one html file

I haven't automated grabbing the strings from a .js file because it
seems fairly straightforward.

Reading back in the strings from the po might present a problem. I
gather that we will have to convert the po file to a .json file

I guess we can use the perl module po2json for now
(http://jsgettext.berlios.de/doc/html/po2json.html) Later we may want to
consider doing this w/ python or narwhal (command-line js), since
neither u nor I know perl.

but we still have to match the strings w/ the target html.

It was dead easy to grab the strings using a css selector $('h1, h2, h3,
title, ...')

but to write back the strings we need to match the msgid string to the
actual element html. Can we create a jQuery css or XPath selector that
selects based on element html?  something like

$('*[html="The <big>Highest</big> score is"]').   ???

I am wondering if it will be feasible performance-wise to write in all
the strings each time the page loads. I guess the only way to find out
is to experiment.

We could possibly pre-create localized html pages using narwhal. We
could use the package_po.json to generate index_ne_NP.html or
index_he.html from the command-line.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director