[Sugar-devel] Nobody understands "Keep"

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 11 15:25:16 EDT 2009

On 11 Jul 2009, at 19:15, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:

> I use Keep in Turtle Art when I am building multiple programs that I
> want to use in lessons. When I have one working as I want, I click
> Keep. Then I can edit the program to create something related, or toss
> it and start fresh.

Regarding the current implementation of "Keep", I would NOT recommend
you use this work flow!!

I did much the same last year with TurtleArt, working through 20 or so
Logo examples that Uruguay had blogged about for lesson plans (I
wanted to see how far TA would go using old Logo examples, I think sin/
cos stuff back then was the first blocker).

Any way, back to my story, after the first 20 or so the exercises were
getting tougher and I wanted to refer back to earlier solutions so I
could combine them. If you've been using "Keep", your trail of entries
are all considered by the Sugar shell as "the same activity" (all have
the same activity_id). If you try to resume an instance of "the same
activity" more than once (for reference/comparison), Sugar shell will
just switch you to the already instance activity. To refer to any
earlier version you will have to "Stop" your current version, resume
the other version, work out what you wanted to see, try to remember
it, "Stop" again, find your current version again and resume it.

In the end I found I had to take a screenshot of every TA pervious
project version, so that I could switch from an active TA version to
an old screenshot for reference. It was a major pain, especially as
back then you had to view images in Browse, and that browse was
raising "Keep Error" every time you closed!

I gave up working on those TA/Logo class lesson plans not long after.

Regards,
--Gary