[Sugar-devel] Sugar as desktop os

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Fri Jul 10 13:09:38 EDT 2009

I am looking into implenting sugar for a Montessori school. The
current plan is to start with 10 to 20 (depending on budget)
computers for a group of about 100 students from 6 to 13, and usage
would be on a rotating basis by groups.

At this stage, there is no plan to supply each child with a
computer. On the other hand, if this implementation is reasonably
successful then the school will probably recommend that parents buy
computers for their children.

As things stand now what I was hoping to do is :

- Install Sugar on each computer as the main OS.
- Setup a server to hold the kids' home directories and provide
other services as needed (routing and chat among other things...).

I am familiar with the XO and I have downloaded Sugar on a Stick to
try it out.

My first problem with SaoS is that there is no easy way to install
the OS on a hard disk. By easy, I mean something like a) boot the
stick, b) click on install to hard disk, or something equivalent.
(As a side note, SaoS includes none of the sound/music applications!
That's a huge loss!)

I looked at the distributions I use, Debian and Ubuntu, and at
Fedora because Sugar is derived from it. All three seem to have
small problems. In addition it seems that they all require a sugar-
emulator and it's not clear to me what is being emulated.

I'm on a short schedule (only 4/6 weeks to procure and setup) so I
am looking for quick answers to avoid blind alleys while doing the
necessary research.

Any comments/pointers welcome. Mostly I think what I'd like to know
is whether what I'm thinking of is even possible. Specifically, is it
possible and how difficult would it be to have share use of a computer
with Sugar as the only desktop OS?

Thanks in advance!

Note: The hardware I am looking at is the HP Mini 110 Mi and the
System76 Starling Netbook.

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>