[Sugar-devel] Paint improvements?

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Jul 8 19:41:33 EDT 2009

> > Nod, I've done that for Memorize and maybe we will for Paint too.  It
> will
> > take some thought to get it right and I've got a lot on my plate right
> now.
> > Worth it if it turns into code but right now I'm wondering what is the
> best
> > path forward? Sugarizing Tux, Improving Paint or adding features to
> Colors?
> > It mostly depends on what programmers out there are interested.
>
> If Tuxpaint satisfies all needs and new features list for Paint and
> Colors! is not short, I guess its much easier to add save-to-journal
> feature to Tuxpaint.

I just spent some time with Tuxpaint.  I like it much better then paint.
More features and they are easier to use.  We asked the students to create a
picture for vocabulary words. I think some of the stamp features and such in
Tuxpaint would have helped some of the kids without as much native atistic
talent to still produce recognizable results.  I think the artists are going
to go wild with some of the magic features.  It really looks like fun.

I don't know how well it will work on a small screen like an XO or netbook.
Maybe someone else can take a look?

For our work at the GPA, where we have full sized screens, I think Tuxpaint
is superior. I know the teachers really care about the automatic save
though. The kids have a lot of trouble saving and its heart breaking for
them to lose their work.  We need to think about how to not just save to
journal, but to save automatically and frequently, but not so frequently
that we clog up the journal.

Thanks,
Caroline

--