[Sugar-devel] Add ability to record to Speak?

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Jul 8 17:06:53 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Caroline Meeks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We worked with 3rd going into 4th graders at the GPA in Boston today making
> memorize games using social studies terms.  The kids drew pictures and added
> them to the memorize game.
>
> The kids are very interested in "making the computer talk".   The lab
> computers (this is SoaS not XO) have headsets but do not have microphones.
>
> What I'd like to do is let the kids type into Speak, record it, then use
> that recording in their memorize games.
>
> I'm hoping that someone will find this easy and be able to give me a new
> version of Speak by next Weds? :)

But current Speak version can record sounds and save recorded sounds to
the journal.

There could be one issue with setting up record volums(since 0.84 doesnt
let users control it) but it could be fixed by "alsamixer -V capture"
command from Terminal, later SoaS should store these settings between
boot sessions.

--
Aleksey