[Sugar-devel] GPA XS Report

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:03:59 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Caroline Meeks<solutiongrove at gmail.com> wrote:
> To do this we took one of the donated computers and added a new network
> card.  Anurag can you explain what each network card was connected to in our
> setup. We think that maybe part of the problem.
>
> What we are trying to accomplish is to get the computers in the computer lab
> to collaborate with minimal disruption to the existing computer lab.  We can
> stick the schoolserver into the room and hook it into an extra ethernet
> cable. But we can't rewire the lab nor can we add another router I think.
> We certainly can't ask BPS to do anything with their DNS.  Do we have any
> hope of the XS solving our collaboration problems?
>
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Anurag Goel <agoel23 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Today at the Gardner Pilot Academy we tried setting up an XS school
>> server. We were able to install the software (version 0.5.2) using the cd
>> image that's on the wiki. We then set the host name and enabled the ejabberd
>> service so it would start automatically upon boot. When we checked the
>> status of ejabbered it showed that ejabbered was running and everything
>> seemed to be fine. We booted several computers with SoaS and changed the
>> network settings from the default (jabber.sugarlabs.org) to the IP address
>> on the XS. After doing this, the computers in the computer lab still would
>> not recognize each other and there was no collaboration. However after
>> running several commands on the the XS we were able to see that computers
>> were able to connect to the server but were not able to see each other.  Any
>> ideas on what we can do to make this work as collaboration will really
>> maximize the potential of Sugar. Caroline, please add any details I might
>> have left out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anurag Goel
>>

>> --
>> Anurag Goel

> Caroline Meeks
> Solution Grove
> Caroline at SolutionGrove.com
>
> 617-500-3488 - Office
> 505-213-3268 - Fax

First I think we should enabled debugging on the SoaS.

To do that I edit ~/.Xclients to include this

 if [ -f ~/.sugar/debug ]; then
         . ~/.sugar/debug
 fi

before  eval \\\$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)

Then we need to edit ~/.sugar/debug to fix a couple of typos:

Missing space between exportGABBLE_LOGFILE
and exportSALUTLOGFILE.

It should be
export GABBLE_LOGFILE...
export SALUT_LOGFILE

Then reboot the SoaS. This should provide debugging of telepathy on
the client side.

Dave
--
Dave Bauer