[Sugar-devel] Background Screen Color for SoaS Activity

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jul 7 10:07:09 EDT 2009

Hi Art,

On 7 Jul 2009, at 03:46, Art Hunkins wrote:

> Tomeu,
>
> I've had no luck modifying background color for anything except
> buttons.
>
> No boxes, even when the box is completely empty.
>
> Does anyone know how to change the color of the entire screen, or of
> a box?

I can remember hitting my head on this when first playing with gtk. I
wanted a black area to place a moon image in. The trick seems to be
using a gtk.EventBox(). Have a look in moon.py at about line #114:

	http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/moon/repos/mainline/trees/master

Just quickly scraped out the lines I think might be interesting, does
seem quite a bit for just a black screen :-)

# Create the main activity container
self.main_view = gtk.HBox()

# Blackness
self.event_box = gtk.EventBox()
colormap = gtk.gdk.colormap_get_system()
self.black_alloc_color = colormap.alloc_color('black')
self.event_box.modify_bg(gtk.STATE_NORMAL, self.black_alloc_color)
self.main_view.pack_end(self.event_box)

# Display everything
self.event_box.show()
self.main_view.show()