[Sugar-devel] Jaunty up and running

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 6 06:53:57 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 20:25, James Michael
DuPont<james.michael.dupont at flossk.org> wrote:
> Sascha,
> It build and installed all according to the instructions.
> I dont have this all here at the moment as I said. If you have any
> questions, you can see my build snapshot, that contains everything.
> I have put 2 days of work and finally got it running on ubuntu, you can see
> the patches.
>
> You can find many bug reports of sugar on ubuntu and others. I dont know of
> anyone who sugar works. Everyone who tried the packages complained of
> problems.
>
> How come this is so difficult? How come you guys dont test the packages
> yourself?
> Installing ubuntu takes about 30 minutes. You can run it it on a virtual
> machine.

There was a team of people working on Sugar on Ubuntu, but they didn't
had the needed resources and stalled before the 9.04 release. I don't
know if getting something packaged for Ubuntu is very hard but Aleksey
has packaged Sugar 0.84 for several distros by himself:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Packaging

Could you update that table with your opinion on the Ubuntu status?

> Can you tell me of sugar working on any distro out of the box?
> are there any success stories?

By that table, all distros except Arch Linux and maybe Debian are
working, but maybe we need people to actually try them out and update
the Status column?

> I really cannot find anything on ubuntu except wiki pages that are out of
> date.
> Sorry, but this is very frustrating.

It's also frustrating for me that my work is not available in such a
popular distro as Ubuntu, but work won't get done until someone rolls
up her/his sleeves.

Regards,

Tomeu