[Sugar-devel] Datastore redesign

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sun Jul 5 16:32:30 EDT 2009

Hi!

After reading the recent threads about Journal / data store and the IDs
used by them the big picture is much more clear now, thanks!
I've adjusted by datastore redesign proposal [1] accordingly and would
like to submit it for review now.
It's not clear a full redesign is The Right Thing to do now, but I'd
rather like to specify what it should look like, not what steps to take
next towards it.

There's an important design decision that's still open:

Is the asynchronous API design useful enough to warrant more complex
implementation?
   - DBus operations can be run asynchronously so UI responsiveness
shouldn't be
     an issue
   - For save() calls activity needs to wait for result (containing new
     version_id) before it can invoke save() again for the same object
     which can take quite some time if save() is sync - especially if
other
     activities are saving at the same time.

Making the API fully asynchronous is the cause for much of the
complexity of my proposal, but if we eliminate the queueing the response
times for write accesses and checkout() can be very long even for
unrelated operations.

[1]
http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/versionsupport-project/repos/mainline/blobs/master/datastore-redesign.html

CU Sascha