[Sugar-devel] ActivityTeam meeting on Friday June 26th - 17:00 UTC

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 3 22:56:37 EDT 2009

On 3 Jul 2009, at 05:12, S Page wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM, David
> Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>
>>> Maybe.  Stand back, what the heck is Activities/All for?  I marked
>>> the
>>> page obsolete and nobody has disagreed. ...
>>
>> Someone disagreed quite enthusiastically the other day.  Their
>> rational was that deployments still refer to /All as their primary
>> download page.
>
> Are you referring to Gabriel Eirea's message
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-June/015446.html ?

Yes that's one recent account, but I must admit at the time I was
confused suddenly changed also (as an Activity developer wondering
where everything had gone). I'm sure we had a number of list/support
emails about it at the time of the change. Now that you mention that
the updater has some fallback hooks for the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities
  I can understand the change from a technical stand point (seemed
random and arbitrary at the time).

I think the issue was that the page was very visual, all those
activity icons, you'd just hit the URL and scroll direct to the stuff
you want. All that up top text is usually just skipped and you'd never
notice an extra paragraph or sentence on a revisit – at least that was
my behaviour – I'm still not sure I've read it as I automatically
assume I know what is says :-) Just forcing myself to read it now ;-)

Oooh my, so the link to Activities/All has been removed already!
(though I note there is still link to Activities/Other page which
seems an even more Bohemian and un-maintained collection).

It's going to take a while to get all Activities/All content over to
SL infrastructure (at least the stuff we have the energy and time to
save from the jaws of obscurity and bit rot)... I can work from the
old All page fine still, just hope existing users see and understand
the text at the top of the page and make it over to
activities.sugarlabs.org.

Any authors/developers/coders who could adopt an orphaned Activity,
and help migrate it over to Sugar Labs infrastructure? There's lots of
valuable Activities still there that could do with some love:

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/All

The Sugar Labs ActivityTeam pages had documentation on the migration
process:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/How_to_migrate_from_OLPC

I'll keep on cherry picking at this, but my time is limited.

Regards,
--Gary