[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Fri Jul 3 22:18:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM, Andrés Ambrois<andresambrois at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 03 July 2009 02:29:56 pm Eben Eliason wrote:

>> > +1 to rss feed concept, makes life a lot easier in a heterogeneous
>> > environment.
>> >
>> > I'm still catching up on email so apologies if this has been mentioned
>> > already. But the UI for marking of entries as sharable does not
>> > necessarily need to be another Journal user-interface addition** In the
>> > simplest approach you could just extend the Activity "Share with: my
>> > Neighbourhood" control to mark a Journal entry as part of the RRS feed.
>> > Would need some
>>
>> The problem I see with this is that we're talking about two different
>> kinds of sharing. Just because I want to make a picture I drew
>> available for anyone to look at, or even make a "photocopy" of to
>> scribble on, doesn't mean that I want to let them into a shared
>> painting session so they can scribble on the original with me.
>>
>> This is the difference between sharing an activity with someone
>> collaboratively, and sending them (a copy of) the resulting object.
>>
>> > thought on wording, do you add more levels of sharing? Or do you just
>> > simplify the "Share with:" language language to "Private", "Share with:
>> > Anyone".
>> >
>> > **though I would like entries to visually show their sharing state, the
>> > buddy column hints at this but should be made explicit
>>
>> I do actually think that the Journal is the best place to expose this,
>> especially since the way we plan to expose the feature in the UI is
>> something like "view <my friend>'s Journal." I'm not sure exactly how
>> or where that happens. Perhaps if we can abandon the checkbox for the
>> multi-selection we can use that space for a public/private toggle of
>> some kind.
>
> How about using special tags? A "Publish" tag seems reasonable for this, and
> consistent with the fact that it could live in a publish directory an HTTP
> server would serve.

I think it's a good idea to store these states as metadata, but I also
think that we need to expose the feature visually to highlight the
capability and make it easier to manage. I wouldn't want kids to have
to type "publish" into the correct field in order to share their work.

> I can also imagine a tags used for starred entries and other metadata (in a
> general sense) used by sugar. This would make them searchable as well.

Yup. I don't think this works yet, but the intent has always been to
allow advanced search queries by specifying key:value pairs (as in
gmail). In fact, all of the filters we support should have text
equvalents, eg. "cat kind:image with:alice favorite:yes" (or similar).

Eben