[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Fri Jul 3 10:42:05 EDT 2009

On 2 Jul 2009, at 14:47, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org>
> wrote:
>> But in that case we should provide possibility to mark objects that
>> can
>> be shared(I guess sharing all local objects by default is not a
>> nice idea).
>
> Right. This would be essential. There's definitely some thought that
> needs to be done here.
>
> Scott had an interesting proposal which basically exposed the Journal
> (or some subset of it) as an RSS feed. This was really neat, because
> it meant we could build a UI for someone else's Journal in Sugar,
> populating it with that data, but also that these feeds could be
> shared globally, for anyone with an RSS reader to benefit from. That's
> a really powerful approach in my mind, and there is some starter code
> lying around as a proof of concept already!

+1 to rss feed concept, makes life a lot easier in a heterogeneous
environment.

I'm still catching up on email so apologies if this has been mentioned
already. But the UI for marking of entries as sharable does not
necessarily need to be another Journal user-interface addition** In
the simplest approach you could just extend the Activity "Share with:
my Neighbourhood" control to mark a Journal entry as part of the RRS
feed. Would need some thought on wording, do you add more levels of
sharing? Or do you just simplify the "Share with:" language language
to "Private", "Share with: Anyone".

**though I would like entries to visually show their sharing state,
the buddy column hints at this but should be made explicit