[Sugar-devel] On datastore object IDs

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Jul 2 13:34:38 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Eben Eliason<eben at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Benjamin M.
> Schwartz<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> Walter Bender wrote:
>>> Use case: I send you a presentation that refers to objects in the
>>> datastore. I need to send you those objects too, but I would not like
>>> to have to use some additional layer of reference.
>>
>> Heh.  We don't support inter-object dependencies.  It's amazing how we
>> keep having the same discussion over and over, though:
>
> We do. We continually avoid it because it's hard, and because it's
> basically orthogonal to the both versions and to "actions". Actions
> (which exist only within the Journal) reference other objects, but the
> inter-object linking you bring up is not required in this scheme.
> Importing an image into eg. Write can (and currently does) still just
> embed that image in the resulting write document, instead of
> referencing it.
>
> This is for similar reasons to the way activity bundles work. Objects
> are self-contained...for better or worse.

Incidentally, I'm not saying we should not do it. I'm just saying that
it's a really hard topic to solve that may be bigger than it looks
(and it looks big), and I'm not sure if it needs to be (or even should
be) solved at the same time as the other problems we're tackling. It's
just an order of added complexity, with a lot of interaction
implications, that's all. =)

Eben