[Sugar-devel] On datastore object IDs

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 2 13:06:26 EDT 2009

Walter Bender wrote:
> Presumably the objects themselves have unique ids, a la git, so that
> we can refer to the same object from multiple trees and by multiple
> users? (e.g., when I share something with you, it still has the same
> name.)

Hmmm.

So there are two issues here:

1. blob uuid.  Each object may own a blob, and if two objects own
identical blobs, then there's no good reason to store them separately on
disk.  Something like this is used in git, I suspect.  In our case, I
cannot think of any reason to expose the uuid outside the datastore
itself.  It might be useful for accelerating various forms of
object-sharing and backup, but those operations are still "behind the
curtain".

2. Some sort of object name.  I think I agree with you that each object
should probably have a user-editable name or  title.  We certainly need
something like this for the Actions, and so it makes enough sense to
extend it to objects.  However, I think that we can keep this as it
currently is: a metadata attribute like any other.  When I share an object
with you, it may get a new tree_id and a version_id of 1, but it keeps all
its metadata, including its title.

--Ben