[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jul 2 09:29:36 EDT 2009

On 07/01/2009 03:48 PM, Eben Eliason wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:43:38PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in this week we want to talk about the Journal and datastore [1]
>>> improvements planned for 0.86. The Library activity [2] has shown some
>>> interesting concepts as well. What are the common goals, how to move
>>> forward, where to invest?
>> Just some thoughts before meeting.
>>
>> For new Journal we have:
>> * action-centric view
>> * object-centric view
>>
>> In my mind they are quite different,
>> action-centric view relates to timelines when object-centric is more
>> like a browsing of objects(sort, tag them etc).
>>
>> So, what about using Library's code base for object-centric view?
>
> I think Library and Scott's "Journal 2" are both good sources to pull
> from. From a UI perspective, however, I think keeping to something
> very much like the existing mockups is the best course, both because
> this is a familiar ground for users (the initial vision for object
> view is nearly identical to the current Journal UI) and because it's
> important to keep it simple while finding intuitive ways to extend
> functionality. I think exposing tags, adding tag autocompletion,  and
> improving the selection filters in the toolbar are good places to
> start. Adding the grid view to expose object previews would also be a
> great addition!

I guess you mean this one with object preview?
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#10
For audio objects we might even be able to add a simple playback
functionality here. I like the preview idea - as when skimming for
pictures (when not associated with an activity and therefore having a
thumbnail) is quite hard - you have to open it in Imageviewer first.

Another mid hanging fruit would be the selecting of several objects and
applying actions to them.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#6

In general - I like the little improvements steps that has a lot of impact.

Regards,
    Simon