[Sugar-devel] Journal --- Sugar-Developers meeting REMINDER (2 July, 2009 - 14.00 (UTC)) --- irc.freenode.net, #sugar-meeting

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Wed Jul 1 09:48:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Aleksey Lim<alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:43:38PM +0200, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in this week we want to talk about the Journal and datastore [1]
>> improvements planned for 0.86. The Library activity [2] has shown some
>> interesting concepts as well. What are the common goals, how to move
>> forward, where to invest?
>
> Just some thoughts before meeting.
>
> For new Journal we have:
> * action-centric view
> * object-centric view
>
> In my mind they are quite different,
> action-centric view relates to timelines when object-centric is more
> like a browsing of objects(sort, tag them etc).
>
> So, what about using Library's code base for object-centric view?

I think Library and Scott's "Journal 2" are both good sources to pull
from. From a UI perspective, however, I think keeping to something
very much like the existing mockups is the best course, both because
this is a familiar ground for users (the initial vision for object
view is nearly identical to the current Journal UI) and because it's
important to keep it simple while finding intuitive ways to extend
functionality. I think exposing tags, adding tag autocompletion,  and
improving the selection filters in the toolbar are good places to
start. Adding the grid view to expose object previews would also be a
great addition!

I also like that Library has started to support sharing. I think there
have been a number of interesting proposals for how this might work in
the Journal, and I'd love to see the feature added. Perhaps by
selecting "View Journal" in the palette for a buddy it would be
possible to see anyone's shared content.

Eben