[Sugar-devel] Email client

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 07:03:27 EST 2009

2009/1/30 Grant Bowman <grantbow at gmail.com>:
> Thank you Caryl and Caroline for forwarding this (originally) from
> olpc-sur (south) mail list.  As the Spanish description of the
> original email mentions, developers don't always know how they are
> used in the classrooms.  I'm curious from a Sugar development
> perspective exactly how they are working with email in their class.
> As the teacher says in the video, email is "fundamental."
>
> Are they using a web based email client or something running locally?
> The first girl who spoke said it's asynchronous and you don't have to
> be connected.  She may be talking about downloading from email,
> working locally and then copying and pasting finished work to a
> web-based email client but it doesn't sound like it to me.

That's exactly what I understood from their description. The teacher
sends an email with an attachment. The children download it with gmail
at the school and store the attachment in the Journal. Then they take
it home, work on it, and when they return to school they send their
work to the teacher using gmail again.

An email activity with replication or however it is called (making a
local copy of the emails and synchronizing automatically with the
server whenever there is connectivity), would be very useful so they
are not limited to attachments only.

Regards,

Gabriel