[Sugar-devel] Missing Keyboard input on fresh Jhbuild

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 06:48:06 EST 2009

Hi Chris and Tomeu,

I've tried a few things but no joy yet other than my hardware XO
seeing the image on my development machine over the network for a
moment..

Thanks Chris for your quick reply!  I already had installed the
packages from months ago on this machine.  It might have been
customized 8.04 package instructions, it's been awhile.  apt-get tells
me the packages are the latest revision but I'll double check my
sources.list.. I stopped tinkering with it because I didn't know the
hardware and/or shortcut bindings I needed to be effective in a Sugar
environment.  Now that I have a hardware device and have seen some
pointers on shortcuts I'm looking forward to getting this working
again.  I think it used to work.  I do have functional mouse and
keyboard when running the packages but the icons are not found in the
theme making most navigation bordering on impossible with invisible
icons.  Also running the Terminal failed to launch.  I tried as both
my own user and as root user with identical results.  Here are the
error messages of my running the Ubuntu 8.10 packages on my machine.
http://pastebin.be/16354  Again I've attached same error messages
below that I think are relevant from this second pastebin.

Tomeu, that link seems like it describes my problem exactlty!  It
seems like an xserver conflict of some kind but with the mouse and
keyboard running OK in the packages it confuses me, indicating I'm
about to learn something.  :-)  I'll read up and let you know if I get
it sorted out.  I am sure there would be tremendous value in having
the git tree run out of the box on Ubuntu 8.10 systems and it seems so
close for me.  Maybe I'll try a full xsession instead of running in a
window.

Thank you both for your replies.  I hope to have one of the two
environments working pretty soon as I start to explore the code.  My
goal is to learn enough about NetworkManager, d-bus and wpa_supplicant
to fix some bugs I've encountered in my own local AP environment -
hidden AP ssid (non broadcasting) and using WEP40 ascii keys.  On
first look it seems some code is missing to handle this particular
case but I'm still trying to sort out if that's true or not as I
wander through and learn more about the code.

I have a list of other 1st-time user bugs I've encountered as I've
gotten more familiar with my XO-1 that I will try to get to filing
when I can work them up into proper bug reports and verify they aren't
duplicates in trac.  My list currently has a crash bug on zooming that
deleted the first write document I ever made (ouch), network view
refreshing to white sometimes in different circumstances (I reloaded
the 767image since and see no problems now), develop activity crashed
the machine, NetworkManager throws an error when stopped twice, some
spurious xkbdcomp errors, occasional scrollbars missing in the Browse
activity (need to identify a repeatable case), time settings not
written to /etc/localtime like I read it should, book style navigator
OK button (check button on the screen) didnt' work as expected,
rotating orientation of touchpad would be nice to syn with rotated
screen orientation, etc.

Thanks again for your help.  I will report back when I make some progress.

Regards,

-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow at gmail.com>