[Sugar-devel] Naming of "sugar", the Sugar Shell

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 29 05:13:02 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:21, Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 17:42, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 02:24:16PM +0100, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>>>The change he prposes is s/olpc/sugar/, which I can hardly imagine as
>>>a violation of any Debian Uppercase Policy.
>>
>> Indeed that was his proposal.
>>
>> I talk about a Python Policy, not an uppercase one: The (main) Python
>> module currently contained in sugar-datastore is "olpc.datastore", not
>> "sugar.datastore".
>>
>> It also contains another Python module "secore" that I until now have
>> stuffed into that same binary package as the "olpc.datastore" one.
>
> Ah!
>
> Tomeu, any reason why datastore has src/olpc/datastore instead of
> src/sugar/datastore? A namespace clash?
>
> Too late for 0.84 I guess, but can we rename it to remove olpc in the future?

Well, sugar.datastore would clash with the toolkit, but we could and
should have chosen some other name. As it's code private to the
datastore service, could have been a nonsense name like hulahop or
jarabe.

But when I started rewriting the old one, I kept the same name and
forgot to change it later, sorry :(

Maybe it's not too late to change it?

Regards,

Tomeu