[Sugar-devel] Problem running Sugar on openSUSE 11.1, MOSTLY fixed

Jigish Gohil cyberorg at opensuse.org
Wed Jan 28 10:43:08 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM, James Simmons
<jim.simmons at walgreens.com> wrote:
> Jigish,
>
> I did a new installation of openSUSE 11.1 on my PC.  I deleted all the
> existing partitions and started over, so absolutely nothing remains from the
> previous upgrade.  I ran your commands and it gave the same complaint about
> sugar-activities,  that it couldn't install etoys.  I took option 1 to deal
> that complaint and wound up with a working installation of Sugar with just a
> Journal and no Activities.  I tried installing just sugar-activities, got
> the same complaint, and this time chose option 2, which ignores some missing
> dependencies.  This seemed to install some things, including abiword, but
> when I tried to run sugar-emulation I still got Sugar with a Journal but no
> Activities are visible.

Hit the top left corner of the screen, and select "Home" to make all
the activities visible.

> I haven't tried installing my own Activities yet.  If that works then what I
> have working should be of some use to me.  I'd really like those other
> Activities to be there, though.
>
> In your email you said *some* Activities don't work, and I assumed you meant
> you were missing etoys.  You're doing better than I am, so I have to wonder
> what you're doing that I am not?

Only issue was with Browse, it could not find one lib, it is probably
a matter of adding the library path in /etc/ld.so.conf, will sort that
out soon.

> Finally, I'd like to thank you and the others who tried to help me with
> this!

Glad to be of help, ping me on IRC #sugar if you need any other assistance :)

Cheers

-J